Sunday 12 February 2012

It's all about the structure.

Every army needs a structure and a strong chain of command spreads out the leadership to properly control the  discipline of the army. The Grymn urban army is no exception so I needed to take stock of the situation and put together a strong chain of command to lead it.

The Chain of command

The rank structure and chain of command was a pretty easy thing to put together because I just shamelessly stole it from the British army; with the minor exception of calling a Staff Sergeant a Master Sergeant instead (that ties in to some writing I am working on). I could include all of the ranks but the higher echelon officers would rarely visit the battlefield so I am sticking to those who would logically form part of the army. Here is the army rank structure that contains all of the ranks I am going to use in the unit roles that I have chosen for them:


Army Rank Structure

Army HQ
Lieutenant Colonel – I/C
Major – 2nd I/C
Warrant Officer 1 – Senior Advisor (AKA Regimental Sergeant Major)
2nd Lieutenant – Adjutant / Communications Officer

Company HQ
Captain – I/C
Lieutenant – 2nd I/C
Warrant Officer 2 – Senior Advisor (AKA Company Sergeant Major)
Master Sergeant - Adjutant / Communications Officer

Platoon HQ
Lieutenant or 2nd Lieutenant – I/C
Sergeant – 2nd I/C
Corporal – Communications Officer
Corporal – Adjutant

Section 1st Fire Team
Corporal – Section I/C
Gunner
Gunner
Gunner

Section 2nd Fire Team
Lance Corporal – Section 2nd I/C
Gunner
Gunner
Gunner

As you can see, it is all pretty basic and all of the blocks of troops are put together into groups of four.

The Platoon HQ leads three Sections of two Fire Teams.
The Company HQ leads three Platoons.
The Army HQ Leads three Companies.

...and three companies are enough for any table-top.





No comments:

Post a Comment